Ordinance No. 07-13
Introduced: April 4, 2013
Public Hearing: May 2, 2013
An ordinance amending Section 15-39, Village Center Overlay Districts, of the Land Development Ordinance of the Township of Randolph, Morris County, New Jersey to establish the Village Center Residential Overlay District - 4
WHEREAS, the Municipal Land Use Law (“MLUL”) of the State of New Jersey, N.J.S.A. 40:55D-1 et seq. grants to municipalities the power to adopt a zoning ordinance relating to the nature and extent of the uses of lands, buildings and structures thereon; and
WHEREAS, the Township of Randolph (“Township”) desires to amend Section 15-39, Village Center Overlay Districts, of the Land Development Ordinance of the Township of Randolph, to establish a Village Center Residential Overlay District - 4 (VCR Overlay 4) for the properties depicted on the zoning map as amended and attached hereto as Exhibit A that will provide flexibility and promote development that enhances the identity of the village center area.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Township Council of the Township of Randolph, County of Morris, and State of New Jersey as follows:
SECTION ONE. Section 15-39, Village Center Overlay Districts, of the Land Development Ordinance of the Township of Randolph, Morris County, New Jersey, is hereby amended by the addition of the following:
Section 15-39.6. Village Center Residential Overlay District - 4
This overlay zoning district is available for certain properties zoned VCR as depicted on the zoning map as amended and attached as Exhibit A.
A. Principal permitted uses.
B. Accessory Uses
1. Customary accessory uses to the principal permitted uses.
2. Fences and walls.
3. Community buildings, gazebos, pools and recreation areas.
4. Storm water basins and structures.
5. Refuse and recycling areas.
C. Conditional Uses.
1. Conditional Uses pursuant to the requirements of the underlying zone.
D. Prohibited Uses.
1. Garden apartments.
E. Areas and bulk requirements for residential uses.
1. Minimum tract size: Sixteen (16) acres.
2. Minimum building setback: Fifty (50) feet to all exterior property lines.
3. Permitted encroachments: Patios and decks located on the first floor of residential units may encroach into the required building setback a maximum distance of fifteen (15) feet.
4. Minimum buffer requirement: All development shall maintain a thirty-five (35) foot minimum buffer to all exterior property lines.
5. Maximum impervious tract coverage: Sixty-five (65%) percent.
6. Maximum density: 6.5 dwelling units per acre, not to exceed 105 dwelling units.
7. Minimum distance between buildings: thirty (30) feet.
8. A maximum of three (3) stories and not to exceed 45 feet for buildings located 380 feet or more from an adjacent single-family zone. A maximum of two and one-half (21/2) stories and not to exceed 35 feet for buildings located less than 380 feet from an adjacent single-family zone. Adjacent single-family zones shall be those which directly abut the subject property and are not separated by a public right-of-way.
Minimum number of attached garage spaces: One (1) garage space per unit, except that any unit with three (3) bedrooms shall have two (2) garage spaces.
F. Development Standards
1. Provide an on-site pedestrian walkway system that connects common open areas and other facilities.
2. Bikeways (minimum six feet wide) shall be provided along the frontage of site and shall connect to pathways on-site.
3. A minimum of twenty-five (25%) percent of the units shall include the master bedroom on the first floor.
4. No unit shall contain more than three (3) bedrooms and no more than thirty percent (30%) of the units shall have three (3) bedrooms.
5. Development shall include recreational amenities for the residents and guests, which shall include at a minimum, a four-season clubhouse with restroom facilities and an in-ground pool.
6. The provision of Section E(4) above, shall not apply to the location of underground utilities, site access and emergency access drives, sidewalks, bikeways, landscaping, freestanding walls, fences, gazebos, benches and trellis which shall be permitted in the buffer areas as required for the design of the improvements. Retaining walls shall not be permitted in the buffer area described in Section E(4).
7. No garage shall have a finished elevation more than five (5) feet below the first floor elevation.
8. The improvements shall be designed to minimize the disturbance of steep slope areas and shall be subject to the requirements of Section 15-44.
9. These development standards shall supersede those contained in Section 15-24.5.
10. Parking shall be provided in conformance with the Residential Site Improvement Standards (RSIS) and Section 15-50.
11. Development in this Overlay District is subject to the provisions of Section 15-48 - Tree Removal and Protection.
12. Development in this Overlay District is subject to the provisions of Section 15-61 - Village Center Design Standards.
13. Signage is to be in conformance with Section 15-43.16.
14. Sidewalks shall be provided along all interior roadways in accordance with RSIS Standards.
15. No more than 25 units shall be accessed from a private road(s) connected to a Township road across a street from a single family zone.
SECTION TWO. The Zoning Map of the Township of Randolph, Morris County, New Jersey is hereby amended to reflect the Zoning Map revisions set forth in this Ordinance and as set forth in the attached Exhibit A entitled, “Zoning Map Revision - Village Center Residential Overlay District - 4”.
SECTION THREE. All ordinances or parts of ordinances in conflict or inconsistent with any part of this Ordinance are hereby repealed to the extent that they are in such conflict or inconsistent.
SECTION FOUR. This Ordinance may be renumbered for codification purposes.
SECTION FIVE. In the event that any section, part or provision of this Ordinance shall be held to be unenforceable or invalid by any court, such holding shall not affect the validity of this Ordinance as a whole, or any part thereof, other than the part so held unenforceable or invalid.
SECTION SIX. This Ordinance shall take effect 20 days after passage and publication as provided by law.
Donna Marie Luciani, Township Clerk
TOWNSHIP OF RANDOLPH
Thomas MacArthur, Mayor
TOWNSHIP OF RANDOLPH, COUNTY OF MORRIS
ORDINANCE NO. 07-13
Notice is hereby given that an Ordinance entitled “An Ordinance Amending Section 15-39, Village Center Overlay Districts, of the Land Development Ordinance of the Township of Randolph, Morris County, New Jersey to Establish the Village Center Residential Overlay District - 4” was submitted in writing at a regular meeting of the Mayor and Council of the Township of Randolph, County of Morris, State of New Jersey, held on April 4, 2013 and was introduced, read by title and passed on first reading. A Statement of Purpose of the Ordinance is contained below. The Governing Body of the Township of Randolph will further consider the Ordinance for second reading and final passage thereof at their regular meeting to be held on May 2, 2013 at 7 p.m. prevailing time, at the Municipal Building, 502 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, New Jersey 07869, at which time and place a public hearing will be heard thereon by the Governing Body and all parties in interest and citizens shall have an opportunity to be heard concerning said Ordinance.
Statement of Purpose of Ordinance
The purpose of the above Ordinance is to amend Section 15-39, Village Center Overlay Districts, of the Land Development Ordinance of the Township of Randolph, to establish a Village Center Residential Overlay District - 4 (VCR Overlay 4) for the properties depicted on the zoning map as amended and attached hereto as Exhibit A that will provide flexibility and promote development that enhances the identity of the village center area. A copy of the full Ordinance is available to any member of the general public, without cost, at the Township of Randolph, Municipal Building, Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, New Jersey, at the Office of the Township Clerk, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Donna Marie Luciani, Township Clerk
Township of Randolph
County of Morris, State of New Jersey