No More Excuses—“Click It or Ticket”
Posted: May 15, 2006
Randolph Township police will be out in force during the 2006 “Click It or Ticket” public education and enforcement campaign which runs from May 22nd through June 4th.
Held annually before the start of the summer driving season, law enforcement agencies in New Jersey and nationwide will be taking part in what has been billed as an aggressive mobilization to save lives by cracking down on safety belt law violators.
Regular safety belt use is the single most effective way to protect people and reduce fatalities in motor vehicle crashes.
Despite this, according to a new report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), nearly one in five Americans still fail to regularly wear their safety belts when driving or riding in a motor vehicle.
According to the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety, 435 police agencies participated in last year’s “Click It or Ticket” campaign. As a result of the enforcement and public information efforts, New Jersey’s seat belt usage rate has risen to an all-time high of eighty-six percent.
Want to know more?
Visit the Buckle Up America web site.
New Jersey’s Seat Belt Law
- Applies to all passenger vehicles including vans, pickup trucks and SUVs, that are required to be equipped with seat belts.
- Applies to all passengers, who are at least 8 years of age but less than 18 years of age, and each driver and front seat passenger of a passenger automobile, operated on a street or highway. All occupants are required to wear a properly adjusted and fastened seat belt system.
- Makes the driver responsible for proper seat belt use by all occupants who are under the age of 18.
New Jersey’s Child Passenger Law
- Children up to age 8 or 80 pounds must ride in a safety or booster seat in the rear seat of the vehicle. If there is no rear seat, the child must sit in the front seat secured by a child safety seat or booster seat.
- Children under age 8 who weigh more than 80 pounds must wear a seat belt anywhere in the vehicle.
- Passengers age 8 to 18 (regardless of weight) must wear a seat belt anywhere inside a vehicle.