Randolph Recovery Update - 5:00PM NOV 5
Posted: November 5, 2012
RANDOLPH RECOVERY UPDATE – 5:00 P.M. – November 5, 2012
• Assume all low-lying power lines are live and dangerous
• JCP&L crews continue to work in Randolph. Approximately 2000 residents remain without power. If you are without power please report the outage to number 1-888-544-4877. JCP&L’s online outage maps present town by town data. The link for JCP&L is at the top of the Randolph web site home page “Latest News.”
• JCP&L is prioritizing spot outages for repairs based upon the number of customers without power. A repair impacting 25 homes will receive priority over a repair impacting 10 homes. We continue to understand that Randolph’s restoration will be competed in a matter of days unlike other sections of New Jersey.
• Homeowners are responsible for repairs to the electrical service connection on their house. If there is damage to the connection you must hire an electrician to repair the service prior to JCP&L re-establishing the service. If you have any questions please contact the Randolph Township Building Department at (973) 989-7070.
• The Township is expediting all permits for storm related damage.
• Under directive from the State, the County of Morris will count mail-in ballots until Nov 19th.
• Any first responders that are out of their state and want to vote at our polls can vote provisional.
• Any misplaced voter will also be able to vote at our polls by provisional ballots.
• WiFi is available at the Randolph Library and the Community Center on Calais Road. Until further notice, the library will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• The Randolph YMCA on Dover Chester Road is open for residents to take showers from 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
RECHARGING CELL PHONES, COMPUTERS AND IPADS – WARMING CENTERS
• Library 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
• Town Hall 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
• Community Center 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
• Bethlehem Church 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (WiFi Available – Enter Through the Back of the Church)
Route 10 West
• Family Church 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
6 Emery Avenue
• Water from the Randolph and Dover systems is safe for consumption.
• Bottled water is available at Town Hall and the Community Center.
• Water for toilet flushing can be obtained at the Public Works Center. Bring containers.
7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• Two models of Champion Power Equipment portable generators, Model number 41332 and Model number 41532, are being recalled due to fire hazards according to The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
• The generators were sold exclusively at Costco from December 2011 through July 2012 for about $699. The CPSC urges people to stop using the recalled products immediately, and to contact Champion Power Equipment for a free repair kit that authorized dealers can install. Consumers can also choose to return the unit to Costco for a full refund.
• Randolph schools are open. There will be a 2 hour delay on Tuesday and the regular schedule will resume Wednesday. Several bus routes are still modified due to road closings.
• The Recycling Center will be open 7 days every week until further notice. Please bring brush and leaves to the Center, if possible, to assist our collection crews.
• A food waste only dumpster will be available at the Recycling Center for spoiled foods.
• Ice will be available at Town Hall and the Community Center.
• The State has mandated an odd/even system for all gas stations. If the last number of your license plate is an even number, you can purchase gasoline on even numbered calendar days. Conserve your fuel. Run generators for short periods.
• Halloween Trick or Treat – Today
• The Mount Freedom Firehouse “Trunk or Treat” gathering will take place Monday night at RHS in the upper parking lot. Participants are asked to park their cars from 6 to 7 p.m. for set-up. The event itself takes place from 7 to 8:30 p.m. There is no fee to participate; donations are welcomed.
• Election Day is a “go” for Tuesday, November 6.
• Curbside recycling collection will begin Tuesday.
• Garbage collection – normal schedule, provided roads are clear.
• Morris County residents in need of non-perishable food as a result of Hurricane Sandy can contact the Morris County Office of Emergency Management at 973-829-8600. Please ask for Human Services.
• A volunteer team is available to help seniors and others in need with tree removal, not involving power lines, and other temporary repairs. Please contact town hall at 973-989-7043.
CLOSURES – PRIMARY ROADS
• Combs Ave – open but low-hanging wires
• Gristmill Road
• Mountainside Drive at Everdale Road
• Everdale Road from Shongum to Mountainside
• Old Brookside Road in Mendham
• Pleasant Hill Road in Chester
• South Road
• Washington Valley in Mendham Township
TRAFFIC SIGNALS DOWN AT THIS TIME
• South Salem Street at Route 10 Ramp
LEAF AND BRANCH COLLECTION INFORMATION
• A separate notice updates residents on leaf and branch collection (see “Latest News” at the top of the Randolph web site home page) or use the Hotline at 1-866-802-0837.
HOME REPAIRS AND FIRE SAFETY
• Beware of criminals posing as utility workers/contractors. Demand to see identification – call 9-1-1 if you encounter anyone with questionable credentials.
• If your house was damaged by a tree, you should have an electrician check circuits in the area of the damage. Storm damage/restoration inspections are a top priority for the Randolph construction office.
• Remember that portable generators must be safely vented.
• Do not operate a generator in a closed area.
• Use fireplaces with care. If you have not had your chimney professionally cleaned, it may pose a fire hazard with a “hot” fire.
STORM PROJECTION for Randolph as provided by Weather Works:
Wednesday Midday-Thursday Morning
Coastal storm begins towards midday Wednesday and depending on intensity, it could be snow/sleet for a period before changing over to rain (accumulation on colder/grassy surfaces possible). Sustained winds as high as 20-30 MPH, with gusts potential of 35-50 MPH. Winds strongest later Wednesday into overnight hours.
NEXT UPDATE – TUESDAY – NOVEMBER 6 at 10:00 a.m.