Randolph Recovery Update - 5:00PM NOV 7
Posted: November 7, 2012
VERIZON – POLES DOWN IMPACTING JCP&L
JCP&L cannot restore power lines on the below listed roads until Verizon replaces Verizon poles. Verizon has not been responsive as of this afternoon. We are working on it, but you can help by forwarding complaints to the NJ Board of Public Utilities at 1-800-624-0241.
Chestnut Hill Road
Mountainside Drive (at Everdale)
Old Brookside Road
West Chrystal Street
Some of the outages extend beyond the streets listed.
• Assume all low-lying power lines are live and dangerous
• JCP&L crews continue to work in Randolph. Approximately 1300 residents remain without power. If you are without power please report the outage to number 1-888-544-4877. It is recommended that you call this number twice each day, A.M. and P.M. to ensure that your home is listed for restoration. JCP&L’s online outage maps present town by town data. The link for JCP&L is at the top of the Randolph web site home page “Latest News.”
• Due to the nature of the damage in the remaining areas without power, JCP&L has brought in specialists to troubleshoot the problems. These specialists are currently throughout the township in unmarked vehicles.
• JCP&L is prioritizing spot outages for repairs based upon the number of customers without power. A repair impacting 25 homes in the service region will receive priority over a repair impacting 10 homes. We understand that Randolph will reach the 95% restoration level Sunday.
• Homeowners are responsible for repairs to the electrical service connection on their house. If there is damage to the connection you must hire an electrician to repair the service prior to JCP&L re-establishing the service. If you have any questions please contact the Randolph Township Building Department at (973) 989-7070.
• The Township is expediting all permits for storm related damage.
STORM PROJECTION for Randolph as provided by Weather Works:
• Winds from 15 - 20 mph, gusts up to 35 mph.
• Tonight – steady snow tapering off to snow showers with sleet and rain.
• Expect 1.5 to 3.5 inches.
• WiFi is available at the Randolph Library and the Community Center on Calais Road.
• The Randolph YMCA on Dover Chester Road is open for residents to take showers from 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
RECHARGING CELL PHONES, COMPUTERS, AND IPADS – WARMING CENTERS
• Library 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
• Community Center 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
• Bethlehem Church 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (WiFi Available – Enter Through the Back of the Church) Route 10 West
• Family Church 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. - 6 Emery Avenue
Tomorrow, the Library and Community Centers will be open from 8 a.m to 10 p.m.
SHELTER – Mennen Arena – 161 Hanover Ave in Morris Township
• Morris County is providing shelter to residents. We will update you if a change of location occurs.
• Water from the Randolph and Dover systems is safe for consumption.
• Bottled water is available at Town Hall and the Community Center.
• Water for toilet flushing can be obtained at the Public Works Center from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., the Millbrook Firehouse on Route 10 and the Ironia Firehouse on Dover Chester Road. Bring containers.
• Morris County has been declared a major disaster area by FEMA. Residents can register for assistance with FEMA by the following methods:
Online at DisasterAssistance.gov
Apply via a smartphone at m.fema.gov
Phone by calling (800) 621-3362
TTY (800) 462-7585
• Branch collection will be placed on hold so as to allow for snow removal operations.
• The Recycling Center will be open Monday thru Sunday until further notice. Please bring brush and leaves to the Center, if possible, to assist our collection crews.
• A food waste only dumpster will be available at the Recycling Center for spoiled foods.
• Ice will be available at the Community Center.
• Morris County residents in need of non-perishable food as a result of Hurricane Sandy can contact the Morris County Office of Emergency Management at 973-829-8600. Please ask for Human Services.
HOME REPAIRS AND FIRE SAFETY
• Beware of criminals posing as utility workers/contractors. Demand to see identification – call 9-1-1 if you encounter anyone with questionable credentials.
• If your house was damaged by a tree, you should have an electrician check circuits in the area of the damage. Storm damage/restoration inspections are a top priority for the Randolph construction office.
• Check FEMA for information on disaster assistance. (see link above or on the home page)
• Remember that portable generators must be safely vented.
• Do not operate a generator in a closed area.
• Use fireplaces with care. If you have not had your chimney professionally cleaned, it may pose a fire hazard with a “hot” fire.
CLOSURES – PRIMARY ROADS
• Combs Ave – open but low-hanging wires
• Mountainside Drive at Everdale Road
• Everdale Road from Shongum to Mountainside
• Old Brookside Road in Mendham
• Pleasant Hill Road in Chester
• South Road
• Washington Valley in Mendham Township
TRAFFIC SIGNALS DOWN AT THIS TIME
• South Salem Street at Route 10 Ramp
NEIGHBORS HELPING NEIGHBORS
NEXT UPDATE – WEDNESDAY – NOVEMBER 8 at 10:00 a.m.