Randolph Recovery Update-5:30PM NOV 1
Posted: November 1, 2012
RANDOLPH UPDATE – NOVEMBER 1 - 5:30 p.m.
• Travel remains difficult as traffic signals are still out at a number of Randolph intersections.
• Trees and utility lines are being cleared on Randolph streets. The majority of primary roads have been restored.
• Three Route 10 crossings – Center Grove, Dover-Chester, and Canfield – are now available. U-turns can be made at Sussex Turnpike and South Salem Street.
• Assume all low low-lying power lines are live and dangerous.
• The JCP&L outage number, 1-888-lightss is not working at this time.
• JCP&L has the Mt. Fern sub-station up and operating. The Mendham sub-stations should be up shortly. We are advised that crews are working their way out from sub-stations repairing infrastructure in Randolph.
• We believe that Randolph will have power restored within the 7 day timeframe originally announced by JCP&L. Harder hit shore towns will be out longer.
• As we begin to obtain more precise scheduling information on power restoration we will share same on this site.
RECHARGING CELL PHONES, COMPUTERS, AND I-PADS
• Town Hall is open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Public Works Center on Sussex Turnpike is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Ironia Firehouse on Dover-Chester Road is open from 8 a.m. to 8 pm.
• Millbrook Firehouse on Route 10 West is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Family Life Church at 6 Emery Avenue, Suite 5 is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Water from the Randolph and Dover systems is safe for consumption.
• The Randolph YMCA on Dover Chester Road is open for residents to take showers.
• Bottled water is available at Town Hall and the Public Works Center, Ironia Firehouse, and Millbrook Firehouse.
• Water for toilet flushing can be obtained at the Public Works Center, Ironia Firehouse, and Millbrook Firehouse from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Bring containers.
• Tonight’s Council Meeting is cancelled.
• Tonight’s Flu Clinic is cancelled.
• Garbage collection is underway, but may be interrupted due to fuel shortages. Recycling collection has been cancelled for the week.
• A food waste only dumpster will be available at the Recycling Facility for spoiled foods.
• Branch collection will begin Monday, November 5th. Please make sure that tree debris is curbside by the end of Sunday. Maximum length of branches is 6 feet.
• Leaf collection will resume on or about November 19th. A new schedule will be posted on the website.
• The State has rescheduled Halloween Trick or Treating for Monday, November 5th.
• Over the next several days, gasoline will become increasingly difficult to acquire. We encourage all citizens to conserve and minimize consumption while major distributors get their infrastructure back online. If you have a generator, it is suggested that operation is limited to short periods so as to conserve fuel.
HOME REPAIRS AND FIRE SAFETY
• Beware of criminals posing as utility workers contractors. Demand to see identification – call 9-1-1 if you encounter anyone with questionable credentials
• The Randolph Construction Code Office is open, issuing permits and conducting inspections.
• Remember that portable generators must be safely vented.
• Do not operate a generator in a closed area.
• Use fireplaces with care. If you have not had your chimney professionally cleaned, it may pose a fire hazard with a “hot” fire.
NEXT UPDATE – NOVEMBER 2, 10:30 a.m.