502 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, NJ 07869-3799
Tel: 973.989.7100Fax: 973.989.7076

Services: Recycling & Garbage

Recycling Information

Residents are required to recycle and we absolutely encourage every family to recognize the importance of this civic responsibility. Not only does recycling benefit our environment, but it also impacts favorably on the township budget and your taxes. We make it easy for residents with our centrally-located recycling center and bimonthly curbside collection of recyclables.

If you have any recycling questions or concerns, please call the Randolph Township Department of Health at 973.989.7050.

Recycling Center

The recycling center accepts materials from Randolph residents only. Residency stickers are required for all vehicles entering the center. These stickers are free and good for as long as you own your vehicle. Residents can obtain separate permits for each vehicle. Stickers are issued at the recycling center (stop by the office) or at the Division of Engineering at town hall. Bring proof of residency (i.e., vehicle registration) when you come.

Hours: (closed on holidays and during inclement weather)
Monday & Tuesday: Closed
Wednesday through Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Location: Located at the intersection of Morris & Sussex turnpikes.

Telephone: 973.989.7050

Curbside Recycling

Curbside collection of recyclables is provided every other week to all town streets with the exception of garden apartments. See our collection routes page to determine your route number and collection day. All recycling should be placed curbside by 7:00 a.m. to ensure pickup.

If you are new to Randolph and in need of a blue recycling container, please call the department of health at 973.989.7050. If you use your own container, size and weight limitations apply—32 gallon volume and 50 lbs. Decals for your recycling container may also be obtained from the department of health.

Recycling Guidelines

Accepted Materials

The following materials are accepted at the recycling center without restriction. Asterisks (*) indicate the items which are also eligible for curbside collection.

For items eligible for curbside collection, please note packaging requirements and/or restrictions before leaving materials out for pickup. Additionally, recyclables left for curbside collection must be placed in metal or plastic containers only. Attendants will not pick up items left out in cardboard boxes or plastic bags.

Click on a heading to reveal the full details about an item.

Alkaline batteries such as AAA, AA, C, D and 9-volt batteries now fall below federal and state hazardous waste standards and should be thrown out with your household trash. Rechargeable batteries must be recycled. Drop-off boxes are located at the recycling center and health department. Lead-acid car and motorcycle batteries will be accepted at the recycling center. Button batteries still contain hazardous elements such as mercury and should be disposed of at a household hazardous waste event. They will not be accepted at the recycling center.
Books are accepted at the recycling center and require no special handling. If your books are in good shape, consider donating them to a library. If your books are not added to the collection, they will be inventoried as stock for the library’s next book sale. All proceeds benefit the library and therefore, the community. Also, think about shelters, schools and religious organizations…books almost always have another life.
Basic yard debris. Maximum acceptable branch size is 4 feet long by 4 inches in diameter. Branches that meet specified size requirements are accepted at the recycling center year-round. Please, no stumps.
Aluminum (soda) and tin/steel (tuna) food and beverage cans. Remove lids and rinse clean. No paint/aerosol cans, pie plates or aluminum foil. Okay to co-mingle with glass and plastic at the recycling center and for curbside collection.
Cardboard & Chipboard*
All corrugated paper materials, chipboard (cereal boxes, pizza boxes, gift boxes). Flatten, bundle and tie securely with cord (no tape or metal wire). Only corrugated cardboard and chipboard go in the compactor at the recycling center. Curbside pickup rules are different. Okay to co-mingle chipboard, mixed paper and brown paper bags. Maximum bundle weight: 50 lbs.
Clothing, Toys & Household Goods
Non-profit drop-boxes are next to the attendant’s office. If the boxes are full, please notify the attendant. Do not leave food donations in these boxes.
Electronic Waste
A drop-off receptacle for the disposal of home electronics is now available at the recycling center. Accepted electronics include the following: televisions, computers, monitors, laptops, computer peripherals such as keyboards and mice, fax machines, VCRs and radios. Absolutely no curbside collection.
Fluorescent Lights
Unbroken lights only. See recycling attendant for proper disposal.
Clear, green/blue & brown beverage and food containers. No drinking glasses, ceramic dinnerware, crystal, light bulbs, plate, window glass, mirrors or lab (test tubes) glass. Remove caps and neck rings; rinse clean. Okay to co-mingle with plastic and cans at the recycling center and for curbside collection.
Grass Clippings
Grass clippings may be dropped off at the recycling center on weekends only. No other lawn debris. Put in containers (bags, garbage cans). Must bring to recycling center; no curbside collection.
Mercury Thermometers
Glass thermometers containing mercury may be disposed of at the health department which has a receptacle for the collection of this common household item. The Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority (MCMUA) will retrieve them when necessary at no cost to the township.
Mixed Paper*
Newspapers, junk mail, telephone directories, catalogs, wrapping paper, magazines, books. We also accept computer paper, envelopes and card stock. These go in a specially designated container at the center. Okay to co-mingle. Curbside collection: Place in recycling container or doubled brown bags and cross-tie with cord (no tape or metal wire); okay to include chipboard and brown bags. Secure mixed paper appropriately; you are responsible for retrieving loose paper. Do not use plastic bags, wire or tape to secure mixed paper. Maximum container/bundle weight: 50 lbs.
Motor Oil
All kinds accepted. Transport in appropriate containers.
All plastic containers with the exception of #3 (PVC) and #6 (polystyrene) are accepted. This includes margarine tubs, yogurt containers, juice cartons and take-out “clam shell“ containers. For plastic bottles/containers, remove caps or lids and rinse clean. Plastic bags of all types, containers that previously held petrochemicals or hazardous materials and motor oil and antifreeze bottles are not allowed. Okay to co-mingle plastic with cans and glass at the recycling center and for curbside collection. Accepted at the recycling center but not eligible for curbside collection are rigid plastics like plastic flower pots and plant trays (must be clean and soil free), spackle buckets (with the wire handle removed) and large children’s plastic toys.
Scrap Metal
Lawn chair frames, filing cabinets, tools, window frames, metal railings, nails, metal hangers, and some small appliances. Strip all non-metal materials. Consult with recycling center attendants before leaving any scrap material. Must bring to recycling center; no curbside collection.
Automobile, truck and bike tires. Remove steel rims. Limit 4 per resident if bringing to the recycling center; curbside collection is limit 1 per pickup.
White Goods*
Large household appliances (stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers etc.). No special handling required. Curbside collection is available year-round by advance arrangement. To have one or more of these items removed, all you need to do is call the health department at 973.989.7050. There is a fee of $30.00 per item.

Prohibited Materials

The majority of prohibited materials not accepted at the recycling center may be brought to the Mt. Olive Transfer Station on Gold Mine Road. You will need to call and make a drop-off appointment with them. If generated in Morris County, this material is required to go to the MCMUA transfer station if it is being disposed of. Hazardous and non-hazardous waste, regulations, special handling and fees are explained in detail on the Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority (MCMUA) website. If you have questions about household hazardous waste disposal, call the MCMUA at 973.829.8006. Note: there is a small fee to drop off some materials and payment is required by check, not cash or credit card. In addition, the MCMUA holds a number of household hazardous waste and computer/TV disposal events during the year. Check its website for dates, times and places.

Ineligible Materials

Ineligible materials are simply those that are not recycled and are safe to include with regular household trash. Please note, however, that the following types of containers must be completely empty before being disposed of: motor oil, antifreeze, gasoline, kerosene and latex paint.

Where to Donate