Coronavirus Information Update
Posted: May 27, 2020
All information, alerts and announcements related to the current COVID-19 situation are now posted on this separate page »
Governor Murphy announced yesterday that the New Jersey Department of Education (DOE) and the Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE) will issue updated guidance allowing school districts and colleges/universities to hold modified in-person graduation ceremonies beginning on July 6. Below are the requirements for commencement ceremonies:
- Must take place on or after July 6, 2020.
- Must take place outdoors or be drive-in/drive-through (no indoor ceremonies will be allowed).
- Must adhere to the relevant capacity limitation in place at the time of the ceremony (this may require districts to hold multiple ceremonies held over a period of time to ensure capacity restrictions are not exceeded).
- Districts and institutions must determine the minimum number of staff and faculty necessary to facilitate commencement ceremonies and adjust attendance requirements accordingly.
- Caps, gowns, diplomas and other materials must be mailed to individual student homes, sent electronically where possible, or otherwise distributed in a manner that complies with social distancing guidelines.
- All activities must be coordinated in consultation with municipal officials, such as the local Office of Emergency Management, local law enforcement, first responders and local health officials.