502 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, NJ 07869-3799
Tel: 973.989.7100Fax: 973.989.7076

If You Have Edibles at Home Lock Them Up

Posted: February 4, 2022

For the fourth year in a row, the New Jersey Poison Control Center has seen an increase in calls concerning children who accidentally consumed cannabis (marijuana, THC) edibles.

Last year, the poison control center assisted in the medical treatment of more than 150 children who were accidentally exposed to cannabis edibles. Unlike adults, children who ingest edibles are at a much higher risk for severe health effects and even fatal outcomes from cannabis.

When using or storing cannabis products in the home, remember the following tips to prevent an accidental exposure:

  • Store edible products in a secure/locked place, out of sight and reach of children and pets.
  • Limit the amount/number of edible products you have in the house at one time.
  • Be aware of the potency (concentration of THC) of the edibles you have at home.
  • The effects of edible cannabis may be delayed compared to smoking cannabis.
  • Only purchase products containing cannabis from licensed, reputable sources.

If you think your child or pet consumed cannabis, contact your local poison control center immediately for medical treatment advice. Poison control centers are a medical resource for both the public and healthcare professionals. Get help 24/7. Call 1-800-222-1222 or chat at njpies.org.

If someone is not breathing, hard to wake up, or having a seizure, call 9-1-1.