Veterans Community Park Receives Award
Posted: May 12, 2022
At the Community Awards Program held by the Morris Park Alliance on April 20, 2022, Randolph Township received a facility award for Veterans Community Park. These awards recognize and honor excellence in parks and recreation at the county, municipal, and non-profit level throughout Morris County.
Parks and recreation facilities that received the facility award are outstanding examples of planning, design, and construction, as well as the most beneficial to the public. They serve as an example for others to follow.
Veterans Community Park was conceived as part of the 2016 parks and recreation master plan and was designed to incorporate features that were not available in our other parks, including:
- A 1/4-mile paved lighted walking trail
- A 1/3-mile paved connecting trail to Heistein Park
- Two pickleball courts
- A community garden with 168 beds
- A bandshell/pavilion/gazebo with restrooms
- A lawn for special events
Township events scheduled at Veterans Community Park in 2022 include a bike rodeo, Easter egg hunt, Arts in the Park, the country fair, and the holiday tree lighting. In addition, garden events, tree dedications, scout projects, and many other active and passive activities have quickly made this park a favorite of residents of all ages.
Presented annually from 2017-2019, the Morris Park Alliance Community Awards Program resumed in 2022, following a two-year hiatus due to COVID-19. Randolph Township was previously recognized for the following Morris Park Alliance Community Awards:
- 2017 - Planning Award (Parks Master Plan)
- 2017 - Operations Award (Randolph Community Center)
- 2017 - Program Award (SPEC/Yellow Card Program)
- 2018 - Planning Award (Trails Master Plan)
- 2018 - Program Award (Arts in the Park)
- 2018 - Facility Award (Randolph Park Beach)
- 2019 - Support Organization Award (Randolph Recreation Booster Club)
- 2019 - Facility Award (Randolph Museum)