All firearms applications for residents of Randolph are handled through the Randolph Township Police Department's Records Bureau. If you need guidance with the application process or have questions, please call 973.989.7019.
In order to obtain a firearm, you must meet eligibility requirements and comply with the statutes which govern firearms purchases in the state of New Jersey.
Additional firearms information is available at the NJ State Police web site.
Firearms Application Process and Requirements
The process begins with making application for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and along the way, requires you to submit to a background investigation by both state and federal agencies, supply references, be fingerprinted, and consent to a mental health records check.
There are two types of purchase permits in New Jersey—the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and the Permit to Purchase a Handgun. If this is your first time buying a firearm, you will need to apply for both but this is accomplished using the same application form (Form STS-33).
Applicants should anticipate the process taking approximately thirty days from the date of receipt of the application. Incomplete or missing information may delay the process, as will the failure of your references to respond in a timely manner.
Firearms Application Registration System (FARS)
Application Procedures for Applicants
Your name must be exactly as it appears on your government document (i.e. driver’s license). Note: If your information does not match, you will need to re-apply. Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. Enter your CURRENT personal information as listed on your driver’s license. If your driver’s license is NOT updated, please enter your information as listed on another official government identification. Updating your driver’s license is recommended for a successful NICS check. You MUST LIST YOUR CURRENT LEGAL NAME. If your current legal name does NOT have a suffix, DO NOT ADD a suffix in this application. If your last name changed due to marriage, YOU MUST ALSO LIST your MAIDEN name.
If you are applying for an initial firearms identification card, after completing the FARS application, you will be required to make an appointment for your fingerprints to be processed. Instructions will be provided on the confirmation page. You have 90 days from the date of application to have your fingerprints processed. Failure to do so will result in your application being automatically withdrawn from the FARS system and it will be necessary to reapply.
Step 1: Visit the FARS website
Step 2: You will also need Randolph's ORI number, NJ0143200. You WILL NOT be able to complete the FARS online application without same.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. When completing the application, you will need the e-mail addresses of 2 reputable references. Your references can be family members. Please fully proofread the entered information at the "Review Screen" portion of your application. Please also print out the confirmation pages after your application is electronically submitted. You will receive automated e-mail updates throughout this new process through FARS.
Step 4: You MUST appear at our headquarters to pay for your INITIAL FID card and/or handgun purchase permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of a background investigation, as per NJAC 13:54-1.4. The fee for the INITIAL FID card is $5.00, and the fee for each handgun purchase permit is an additional $2.00 (check or money order only). Bring verification of your residence at time of payment.
Step 5: Both FID cards and permits to purchase handguns are all electronic now, and will be active immediately upon approval in the FARS system. There is no longer a need to respond to police headquarters to obtain them, which is why payment must be received prior to approval.
*Please advise your references that the FARS system will e-mail them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
*The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and e-mail addresses for yourself and your references. Although your Social Security number is not mandatory, the application process will be delayed without it.
*If you have resided outside of NJ in the past 10 years, you must complete Form 66, Consent for Mental Health Records Search.
If you are seeking a Permit to Carry a Handgun:
You must have a valid NJ Firearms ID card to apply. If not, you need to apply for an Initial Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (S.T.S. 033). Instructions are available on this page and at the police records window.
- Complete State of New Jersey Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun, form S.P. 642 in triplicate. All references must know the applicant for a minimum of three (3) years prior to the date of the application. All original copies must be notarized. The applications MUST be double sided.
- Submit four (4) 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" color passport photographs.
- Complete the Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP-66.
- Must be fingerprinted. Visit IDEMIA's website to schedule an appointment. The service code for firearms licensing, 2C:58-1, is "2F164B." Randolph Township's ORI number is "NJ0143200." Enter a Contributor's Case Number (use the applicant's last name, month, day, and year of application. Eg.: Joe Doe applied on Jan 8, 2022..... Contributor Case Number, Doe010822.) *Fingerprint results must be received within ninety (90) days of application.
- Written proof of ownership of the handgun(s) you intend on carrying. Ownership can be a purchase receipt or permit to purchase or a notarized letter of ownership listing the make, model and serial number of the handgun(s). Shall demonstrate "that you are thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns," in accordance with NJAC 13:54-2.4(b). Qualification must be within six (6) months of application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor. The written certification must include the instructors name and certification number, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s).
- Proof of identification and citizenship (driver's license and birth certificate/naturalization paperwork/green card).
- A money order in the amount of $50.00 payable to the "State of New Jersey Treasurer."
Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns may be evidenced by:
- Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by NJSA 2C:39-6j;
- Submission of most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) intended to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Assn, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;
- Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Assn, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
- Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Assn, or any other recognized certified instructor.
The required written Firearms Qualification, in accordance with N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(b), can be obtained at most firearm ranges throughout the state. A list is also available on the NJ State Police web site. All Permit to Carry applications are still subject to thorough background checks to ensure that the applicant is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in 2C:58-3(c)(1-11). A New Jersey permit to carry is valid for 2 years from time of approval. To renew, the same application process applies.
For further information, contact Kathy Mussone at 973.989.7019.
Voluntarily Register Firearms
All applicants are encouraged to complete a Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration which will be provided to the New Jersey State Police and retained by the Randolph Township Police Department.
These are fillable forms which means they can be filled out on your computer and saved to your hard drive and/or printed out. To view and complete them, you will need the freely available Adobe Reader software installed on your computer.