502 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, NJ 07869-3799
Tel: 973.989.7100Fax: 973.989.7076

Services: Vital Statistics

Civil Unions

On December 21, 2006, New Jersey’s governor signed the state’s civil unions bill into law, giving same-sex couples all the legal benefits, protections, rights and responsibilities available under state law to married couples. This legislation, which amends New Jersey’s marriage statute, took effect on February 19, 2007.

The civil union law is not affected by the New Jersey Supreme Court’s ruling in October 2013 allowing same-sex marriage. It remains in full force and effect. View more information from the state regarding civil unions and same-sex marriage

Please call ahead for guidelines.
The registrar may be reached by calling 973.989.7050.

You would apply for a civil union license in Randolph if…

  • either party resides in Randolph OR
    [the license will be valid in any New Jersey municipality]
  • neither party is a resident of New Jersey but the proposed civil union will be performed in Randolph [the license will only be valid in Randolph]

For your convenience, we have made the Application for a Civil Union License  available online. To view it, you will need the freely available Adobe Reader software installed on your computer.

You are not required to download and complete the application form in advance of your visit to the registrar but doing so will make the process that much easier. If you do complete the form in advance, please do not sign the application as it must be signed under oath in the presence of the issuing authority.

Age requirements

Applicants must both be at least 18 years old in order to get married in New Jersey.

How much does it cost?

The application fee is $28.00, payable by check, cash or money order.

Who can perform the civil union ceremony?

  • any federal, state, municipal judge or magistrate (even if they are retired)
  • any county clerk
  • any county surrogate
  • any mayor or deputy mayor of a town
  • the chairman of any township committee
  • any religious minister

When should you apply for a civil union license?

Civil union licenses will not be issued sooner than 72 hours after the application has been made, unless ordered to do so via an appropriate court order. If the civil union is scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday, the application should be made no later than the preceding Tuesday.

If the couple wishes to have both a civil and religious ceremony performed on the same day, two licenses will be issued on the basis of a single application but two fees will be collected. If the couple wishes to have two religious ceremonies and wants to have a public record of each, they must apply for only one license, use it, and then return to the registrar, complete another license application and pay the $28.00 fee. The same application form is used for both licenses; the distinction is made by checking the box at the top of the form indicating the application is for a “Reaffirmation of Civil Union” license.

What to bring with you when you come

Both parties must appear in person to apply for the license. You will need to bring copies of your current driver’s licenses or passports (cannot be expired), know your social security numbers and provide proof of residency such as a driver’s license, lease, tax return, etc.

Additional documents that are helpful but not required include a copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth information and, if either party has been in a marriage, domestic partnership or civil union before, a copy of a death certificate, divorce decree, dissolution of civil union or termination of domestic partnership.

A witness also at least eighteen (18) years of age who knows both parties must appear with the applicants and swear to the completeness and accuracy of the answers supplied by the applicants.

If the parties cannot come in at the same time, either applicant may complete his/her part of the application and start the waiting period. The other applicant must return with the same witness to complete his/her part of the application. The application must be completed by both parties before the license will be issued.

How long is the license valid?

Civil union licenses are valid for thirty days from the date they are issued.