502 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, NJ 07869-3799
Tel: 973.989.7100Fax: 973.989.7076

Services: Permits & Licenses

Construction Permits

ICC (International Code Council) Changes Take Effect March 2016
2015 ICC is in full effect March 2016—apply for permits accordingly

The Randolph Township Office of Construction Codes is responsible for issuing all construction permits in accordance with the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. The process of obtaining permits, approvals and variances can involve several different departments and may seem overwhelming at first glance. We’ve attempted to simplify our explanation by providing you with answers to frequently asked questions located at the bottom of this page.

If you have any questions, we suggest you call our office during the planning stages. We may be reached at 973.989.7070.

Permit Application Forms

For your convenience in submitting permit application(s), we have made the most commonly requested forms available here for download. For a complete list, visit the Department of Community Affairs website. These fillable forms may be filled out on your computer, saved to your hard drive and/or printed out.

UCC-F170 Construction Permit 
This form needs to be submitted with each permit application. It should describe the type of work you are planning to do, provide the work site and contractor information, and the estimated cost of work.
UCC-F100 Construction Permit Application 
This application form needs to accompany the subcode technical sections. Please be sure the certification in lieu of oath is signed.
UCC-F110 Building Subcode Technical Section 
This form is to be used for decks, pools, sheds over 200 sq. ft., commercial work, and other interior and exterior construction projects. When in doubt, please call for clarification.
UCC-F120 Electrical Subcode Technical Section 
This form should be used for all electrical work related to a project. A licensed electrician must sign and seal the application unless the work is being completed by the homeowners in an owner occupied single family dwelling.
UCC-F130 Plumbing Subcode Technical Section 
This form should be used for all plumbing work related to a project. A licensed plumber must sign and seal the application unless the work is being completed by the homeowners in an owner occupied single family dwelling.
UCC-F140 Fire Protection Subcode Technical Section 
This form is required for any fire protection work being performed. Please be sure the certification in lieu of oath (Section C) is signed.
UCC-F370 Chimney Verification for Replacement of Fuel-Fired Equipment 
This form needs to be completed for any replacement or newly installed furnaces, boilers, fireplaces or chimney liners. If a new chimney liner is being installed, please provide the specifications on the liner along with the chimney verification form signed by a certified professional.
UCC-F390 Framing Checklist 
This form is required for any new construction. Builder checks boxes marked “B” and the responsible person in charge of work signs and dates. This form is to be presented to the building inspector when the framing inspection is scheduled.

Zoning & Permit Requirements

Not sure what permits and approvals will be required for your particular project? We have put together a chart which indicates zoning and permit requirements for many of the activities a homeowner may contemplate undertaking on his/her residence. View our zoning & permit requirements table.

Construction Activities: Zoning & Permit Requirements
ActivityZoning Approval?Construction Permit?
Air conditioner (central): install or replaceYesYes
Asbestos abatementNoYes
Basement: refinishing/remodelingYesYes
Bathroom fixtures: direct replacement and/or piping changesYesYes
Boiler: replaceNoYes
Burglar alarm: installNoYes
Chimney: repairsNoYes
Commercial signs (exterior)YesYes
Deck: add or replaceYesYes
Dishwasher: installYesYes
Door (exterior): replace existing with same size and typeNoNo
Door (exterior): adding, enlarging or eliminatingYesYes
Driveway: repair or repaveYesNo
Duct work: install newNoYes
Duct work: repair or replaceNoNo
Electrical: any modifications or improvementsNoYes
Fence (around a pool or over 6'): add or replaceYesYes
Fence: repairYesNo
Fireplace: addYesYes
Furnace: replaceYesYes
Generator (stand-alone)YesYes
Gutters: replace or repairNoNo
Landscaping workNoNo
Lawn sprinkerNoYes
Lead paint abatementNoYes
Ordinary repairsNoNo
Outdoor kitchenYesYes
Painting (exterior or interior)NoNo
Plumbing: any modifications or improvementsYesYes
Remodeling or alterations (interior)YesYes
Retaining wallsYesYes
Roof: repairs involving less than 25% of existing roofNoNo
Roof: replaceNoYes
Roof top unitYesYes
Satellite dishYesYes
Septic system: construct or abandonNoYes
Sewer system: connect to the public systemNoYes
Shed or other utility building: constructYesYes
Siding: add or replaceNoYes
Smoke detectors: addNoYes
Solar panelsYesYes
Spa/hot tubYesYes
Storm windows/doorsNoNo
Stove: replace electric with gasNoYes
Swimming pool: add or replaceYesYes
Tennis court: installationYesYes
Underground fuel or septic tank: removeNoYes
Water heater: replaceNoYes
Wall repairs: sheet rock or plaster onlyNoNo
Windows: replace existing with same size and typeNoNo
Windows: adding, enlarging, or eliminatingNoYes

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a construction permit?
A construction permit grants permission to do most kinds of work on a dwelling or other type of building. The purpose of the permit is to allow our officials to observe the progress of the work to be sure it meets code. The permit consists of five different subcode sections as needed. They are: building, electric, plumbing, fire, and elevator.
When are construction permits required?
In general, if it is more than a repair of a building, electrical, plumbing or fire element, a permit is probably required. The New Jersey Uniform Construction Code states, “A building or structure shall not be constructed, extended, repaired, removed or altered…” without construction permits except for ordinary repairs. If in doubt, a call to the office is recommended.
Understanding zoning
Some permits, specifically those which involve changes to the exterior of your property, will require a zoning review. In these cases, you will be asked to submit a copy of your plot plan (property survey) so that Randolph’s zoning official can review your project for compliance with the zoning ordinance.
If you cannot comply with the zoning ordinance for any reason, you must obtain a variance from the board of adjustment before your project can proceed. The zoning official is charged with the responsibility of enforcing the zoning ordinance but she may not waive its requirements. That power is granted by law to the board of adjustment. If your project requires a variance, she will explain the application process to you.
Remember…construction permit applications for projects which change the footprint of the building, lot coverage, use of the space, etc. may also require a zoning approval.
The construction permit application
If a construction permit is required, the homeowner or contractor applies for the permit. The permit application requires information about the construction project including who will perform the work and what, when and how the work will be done. Sketches, drawings, plans or other documentation of the work will have to be submitted for review, as will payment of the appropriate permit fees upon approval.
Using a home improvement contractor? The Contractors’ Registration Act requires that all home improvement contractors be registered with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs. The Office of Construction Codes is barred from issuing construction permits to an unregistered home improvement contractor who is required to register.
After the permit application is completed, it is reviewed by the subcode official who will determine if the project is in compliance with the construction codes, zoning ordinance and other municipal or state ordinances and statutes. Applications may be approved, disapproved, or additional information and clarification may be requested.
If the permit application is rejected, the applicant is notified of the reason and may opt to correct and resubmit or appeal the decision. If it is approved, it is processed by the office, the applicant pays the calculated permit fees and a permit is issued.
The construction permit is the document which grants legal permission for construction to start. Inspections required for the project will be indicated on the permit. Each major phase of construction must be inspected by the Office of Construction Codes to make certain the work conforms to the appropriate code, the permit, and the approved plans. As construction proceeds, the applicant refers to the inspection schedule and calls the Office of Construction Codes to schedule the various progress inspections.
Upon completion and final inspection of all work, the construction official issues a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) or a Certificate of Approval (CA), the formal document which marks the completion of the construction project. Note that the work is not considered complete until the Office of Construction Codes completes all the inspections and issues the CO or CA.

Consequences of Working Without a Required Permit

  • You may subject yourself to penalties and/or fines of up to $2,000 a day until permits are issued.
  • If you proceed with your construction project without having a required permit and you get “caught,” before a permit can be issued you will need zoning approval and you may need a variance or planning board approval. If these approvals/variances are denied, you may be required to remove the constructed improvement.
  • You might unknowingly receive substandard materials and/or workmanship from a contractor.
  • If you have an insurance claim related to any work done without permits, your carrier may not pay the claim. They often check with the township for permits and the required inspections.