Chapter 44 Streets & Sidewalks
Article III. Snow & Ice
- Any resident of the township, all members of the department of police, all special officers and all members of the department of engineering and public works are authorized to file complaints for violations of this article.
- Investigation and enforcement of this article will normally occur after the storm event. Complaints must be issued within 30 days of the violation.
(Revised Ordinance (RO) 1979, Section 27-11; Ordinance Number 16-93. Section II, 5-6-93)
a. Designated walking routes defined.
1. For purposes of snow and ice removal, the following routes leading to and from the local schools shall be deemed and designated walking routes:
|Name of School||Designated Walking Route|
|Center Grove School||Along Schoolhouse Road from its intersection with Nerewood Road to the school.|
|Fernbrook School||Along Quaker Church Road from its intersection with Reservoir Avenue to Center Grove Road.|
|n/a||Along Center Grove Road from its intersection with Quaker Church Road past the school entrance.|
|Ironia School||Along Dover-Chester Road from its intersection with Stonehill Road to the school.|
|Shongum School||No sidewalks used in designated walking route.|
2. Additional designated walking routes are as follows:
- Orchard Drive
- Old Yorke Road
- Aldebaran Drive
- Cushing Court
- Arrow Place
- Mohawk Lane
- Knights Bridge Drive
- Morey Lane
- Laurel Hill Drive
- Musiker Avenue from Knights Bridge Drive to Morey Lane
- Tammy Hill Trail
- Black Birch Drive to Timber Lane
- Timber Lane
- Sparrow Road
- Merrimac Road
- West Hanover Avenue between Tammy Hill Trail and Black Birch Drive
- Shady Lane
- Drake Court
- Bonnell Lane
- Quaker Church Road from Iris Lane to Sandra Lane
- Pleasant Hill Road from Golden Corners Way to Springbrook Drive
- Morris Turnpike from Dover-Chester Road to Sussex Turnpike
- Dover-Chester Road from Marjaleen Drive to Berry Lane
- Millbrook Avenue from Resurrection Church to Carrell Road
- Carrell Road from VFW to Millbrook Avenue
- Chelsea Drive
- Dawn Lane
- Washington Valley Road from Sussex Turnpike to northern terminus
- Center Grove Road from Quaker Church Road past the school exit
- Combs Hollow Road
- Doby Road
- Dover-Chester Road, east side from Guerin Drive to the school
- Farm Road, north side only
- Georgian Road, to include its connector with Mariner Drive
- Kingsbrook Court
- Mariner Drive
- Nathan Drive
- Pleasant Hill Road from Golden Corners Way to Park Avenue
- Roc Etam Road
- Rustic Ridge Road
- Ryan Court from Church Road to Valley Road
- South Road from Canterbury Court to Yorkshire Drive
- Sweetwood Drive
- Theodore Drive
- Ursala Court
- Arnold Drive
- Block Court
- Brookside/Ariel Road
(b) Time for removal from designated walking routes. The owners, tenants and occupants of improved or unimproved premises abutting upon a designated walking route, as defined in subsection (a) of this section, shall remove all snow and ice from the full width of sidewalks comprising those routes which abut their respective premises within 12 hours of daylight after any snowfall or accumulation of ice occurs. If township schools are canceled due such accumulation of snowfall or ice, owners, tenants and occupants of the above-referenced premises must remove such snow and/or ice within six hours of daylight after the reopening of the township's schools.
(c) Private developments. The owner of any garden apartment development, nursing home, office building, hospital, restaurant or shopping center and the owner of any property within the township to which the public is invited for business purposes shall remove all snow and ice from the driveways, fire lanes, garbage pickup areas, parking areas, walkways, sidewalks that abut the premises, steps and fire hydrants located upon such property within 12 hours of daylight after any snowfall or accumulation of ice occurs. If ice is so thick as to make removal impractical, the owner shall only cause the walkways and steps to be thoroughly covered with sand, ashes, sawdust or rock salt within six hours of daylight after the accumulation or re-accumulation of such ice and shall maintain the driveways, fire lanes, garbage pickup areas, parking areas, walkways, sidewalks that abut the premises, steps and fire hydrants thereafter in safe condition.
(d) Private roads. The owner or developer of any residential property within the township which contains any unaccepted roads or streets shall remove any snow and ice from the roadways within 12 hours of the time any snowfall or accumulation of ice occurs. If ice is so thick as to make removal impractical, the owner or developer shall only cause unaccepted roads or streets to be thoroughly covered with sand, ashes or rock salt within 12 hours after the accumulation of such ice.
(RO 1979, Section 27-8; Ordinance Number 7-93, Section 1, 3-4-93; Ordinance Number 7-94, Section 1, 3-22-94; Ordinance Number 1-98, Section 1, 2-5-98; Ordinance Number 8-98, Section 1, 3-26-98; Ordinance Number 54-99, Section 1, 12-7-99)
- In the event of a violation of this article, the township may undertake the removal of all snow and ice from any sidewalk on a designated walking route, and the township may undertake the removal of all snow and ice from driveways, fire lanes, garbage pickup areas, parking areas, walkways, steps and fire hydrants located upon any garden apartment development, hospital, restaurant, nursing home, office building, shopping center or other property within the township to which the public is invited for business purposes.
- In such event, the cost of such removal shall be certified to the council by the township engineer/director of public works in the department of engineering and public works. The council shall examine such certificate and, if found to be correct, shall cause such cost to be billed to the owner, tenant or occupant of such abutting premises on which snow or ice removal work has been performed by the township. In the case of an owner, such cost, if not promptly paid, shall be charged against such premises and be added to and be part of the taxes next to be levied and collected, with interest, by the same officers and in the same manner as other taxes.
- The provisions of this section shall not relieve any owner, tenant or occupant of the penalty provided in Section 44-1.
(RO 1979, Section 27-9)
No person shall place, cause to be placed or permit to be placed any snow or ice upon any street, road or sidewalk within the township in any manner that will obstruct or impede vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or block access to any street, road or sidewalk. The owners, tenants and occupants of the subject property from which the snow is removed, as well as any person who caused the snow or ice which obstructs or impedes vehicular or pedestrian traffic or blocks access to any street, road or sidewalk, shall be responsible for compliance with terms of this section.
(RO 1979, Section 27-10; Ordinance Number 16-93, Section I, 5-6-93)